Raven is a simple work messaging tool that is built using Frappe Framework and can be installed on any new or existing Frappe site (e.g. in addition to ERPNext or Gameplan). It is designed to help teams collaborate and communicate with each other and get work done. Teams can create their own channels (publically viewable or private) and send messages, emojis, files and images.
Raven was born out of a need to have a simple work communication tool that could replace Slack for us at The Commit Company. Most work communication tools in the market had the following problems:
- They include many features like video calling, audio sharing on top of work messaging which are not required for small teams. However, these features are expensive to build and run.
- Hence, they require payments for every user every month - regardless of how much time a user uses the tool or how many messages they send. This meant that we would have to pay for "mostly inactive" users as well.
- We were already using ERPNext hosted on Frappe Cloud for our operations. Since all our users were already on ERPNext and we were paying for the server, we thought that a simple Frappe app can solve our work communication problem - and we feel there are many other teams and organizations who would benefit in a similar way.
- Send messages to all members in your organization (in an "open" channel), or just in your team in a private channel
- Create new channels for your team and your team members
- Send text messages 💬, code blocks 💻, emojis 😆, files 📑 and images 📸
- Mention users in your messages with "@"
- React to messages with emojis 🎉
- Preview image/PDF files 📁
- Comprehensive search 🔍 functionality for all your messages, files, channels and users
- Don't strain your eyes 👀 - Raven supports dark mode 🌙
- Collaborate on the go with the Raven mobile app 📱 (in progress)
Raven is built using the Frappe Framework - an open-source full stack development framework.
These are some of the tools it's built on:
The frontend is built using React and the following tools:
1. ChakraUI - UI components
2. frappe-react-sdk - simple React hooks to interface with a Frappe framework backend - built and maintained by us at The Commit Company.
3. react-icons - Icon set
4. Framer Motion - Animations
The mobile app is built using Ionic, Tailwind CSS and Capacitor.
We are currently working or will be working on the following features. Please head to our Github issues page and feel free to contribute:
- Mobile app for Raven
- Open-graph link previews
- Push notifications
- Integration service - allowing other applications to create bots and send messages. Some popular services we are looking at are Github, Linear, [Sentry][https://sentry.io], [Frappe Desk][https://frappedesk.com].
If you find any bugs, feel free to report them here on GitHub Issues. Make sure you share enough information (app screenshots, browser console screenshots, stack traces, etc) for project maintainers to replicate your bug.
Raven is built by The Commit Company